Between Downs & Thames - Railways of Gravesend, the Hoo Peninsular & Isle of Grain
Gravesend, the Hoo Peninsular and the Isle of Grain were once home to a large complex of railways, their fascinating story unfolding in this fully illustrated work. An ancient riverside town, Gravesend is today combined with its hinterland as Gravesham and it is as this expansive area that its railways and ferries are examined.Nestling between the estuaries of the Thames and Medway Rivers are the Hoo Peninsular and the remote Isle of Grain. Low lying areas of immense skies, both have played their part in the history of military and industrial railways.
The contents include:
- A unique example of both a railway and a canal sharing a tunnel.
- Northfleet's locomotive building history and locomotive shed
- The London, Tilbury & Southend Railways steam ferry and its landing places.
- Royal trains and their associations with the area.
- The Batavier steam packet service to Rotterdam and associated boat trains.
- 1980 proposal to electrify the Hundred of Hoo branch using submarine batteries.
- An illustrated survey of the areas locomotives, carriages and multiple units.
- The UK's only double deck passenger train.
- Chattenden & Upnor Railway and Hoo Ness narrow gauge military railways.
- Chattenden Navel tramway & Kingsnorth Light Railway
Softback, 256 pages, black & white photographs, maps
Most orders are dispatched within two working days of receipt of cleared payment. If there is going to be a significant delay, we will endeavour to contact you and give you an estimated dispatch time.
Please be aware that advance orders will be sent as soon as the relevant book has been published.
When placing your order, please ensure that you add the correct full shipping address to your order. This includes house number, street name, zip code/post code. If parcels are returned on account of an incorrect shipping address we will contact you to seek the correct address and also ask that you pay a contribution towards posting the parcel to you a second time.
All orders over £10.00 are post free to all UK addresses. For orders of £10 or less, a £1.25 postage fee will be added. These are normally sent via Royal Mail 48 Hour which is not tracked. If you require tracking for your order please get in touch before placing your order and we will quote you for the costs of adding tracking to your order.
Large, bulky or high value orders may be split in to multiple consignments or sent via courier. There is no additional charge for this and we will contact you if this happens.
Overseas orders are charged based on weight, and postage will be automatically calculated at checkout. For a postage quotation, please add the items you want to your cart and proceed to the checkout. All orders are normally sent via Air Mail.
Royal Mail will only accept parcels up to 5kg in weight (2kg for Canada). If you are ordering multiple items that exceed these limits, please get in touch with us first so that we can advise you of the appropriate shipping rate.