The Southern Way - Issue 6
The regular volume for the Southern devotee including
- the first part of a comprehensive history of Lancing Carriage Works.
- Three photographs of Drummond Locos at Bude in the 1930s.
- Human Error at London Bridge - new light on the accident of 23rd January 1948. Could the Inspecting Officers, conclusions be incorrect?
- Life at Southampton Train Supervisors Office. The first of a series of articles by former controller, Richard Simmonds detailing the everyday and unusual workings associated with running trains from the 1950s onwards. Illustrated with views taken by Richard of both everyday and unusual workings.
- Another first this time is the commencement of a major series on the history of the Southern railway by former railwayman, Tony Goodyear. Tony starts with a look at the make of of the Southern and what each of the three major constituents brought to the new concern.
- Views of the LBSCR approach to Victoria in steam days.
- Water Troughs on the Southern. The 1948 proposal for water troughs at three sites on the Western Section. Rolling stock by Terry Cole.
- Whitstable Harbour views.
- The Bulleid steam reversing gear - how it worked.
- Permanent Way notes from Graham Hatton
- Feedback on the recently published George Heiron volume and on the opposite page a fascinating record of contemporary First Aid at Guildford Station in the 1930s. Raw onions included!
- Urie's 'Big Tanks' by Eric Youldon
- Plus detail on the 'Remembrance class as rebuilt in 'N15X' guise
- The colour section includes unseen views from the camera of Gerald Daniels
Most orders are dispatched within two working days of receipt of cleared payment. If there is going to be a significant delay, we will endeavour to contact you and give you an estimated dispatch time.
Please be aware that advance orders will be sent as soon as the relevant book has been published.
When placing your order, please ensure that you add the correct full shipping address to your order. This includes house number, street name, zip code/post code. If parcels are returned on account of an incorrect shipping address we will contact you to seek the correct address and also ask that you pay a contribution towards posting the parcel to you a second time.
All orders over £20.00 are post free to all UK addresses. For orders of £20 or less, a £1.50 postage fee will be added. These are normally sent via Royal Mail 48 Hour (the business equivalent of 2nd class mail) which is not tracked. If you require tracking for your, tracking options are available for a small fee. If the service that you require is not shown, please get in touch with us and we can quote for your desired service.
Large, bulky or high value orders may be split in to multiple consignments or sent via courier. There is no additional charge for this and you will be advised at the order fulfillment stage if this happens.
Overseas orders are charged based on weight, and postage will be automatically calculated at checkout. For a postage quotation, please add the items you want to your cart and proceed to the checkout. All orders are usually sent via Air Mail - this is not tracked. If you required your order to be tracked or sent by a different service, please contact me, preferably before checkout.
Royal Mail will only accept parcels up to 5kg in weight (2kg for Canada). If you are ordering multiple items that exceed these limits, please contact us first so that we can advise you of the appropriate shipping rate.
Some countries charge import taxes and we suggest that in these cases, you asked for your order to be tracked so the local taxation authorities can trace your parcel.